Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Love Your Broccoli Pasta

Yesterday I was on the hunt for a semi-healthy dinner.  I came across this really good looking recipe, and I may have added to it to make it a little less unhealthy.  Nonetheless, it was very good and I didn't feel terrible about eating it either.  I added 1 pound of 94%lean ground beef, but you can omit that if you would like.  It is really easy, and even the picky eaters in the family should like it.  Enjoy!


Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil (omit if you add ground beef)
1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
2 cans (14.5 oz each) seasoned diced tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I added a little more)
12 oz pasta
1 lb broccoli florets (I used frozen)

Directions
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.

Saute ground beef over medium heat.  Add garlic, once beef is cooked through, and cook gently for about 30 seconds.  Add the tomatoes, with juice, vinegar, basil, and red pepper flakes.  Increase the heat, and bring the sauce to a simmer.  Cook the sauce for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

While the sauce is simmering, add the pasta to the boiling water.  When the pasta is almost done, add the broccoli to the pot, and cook for 2 minutes longer.

Drain the pasta and broccoli, and transfer them to a large bowl.  Add the sauce, and toss well.  




No comments: