Thursday, September 6, 2012

Best Stir-Fried Chicken from Gwyneth Paltrow's My Father's Daughter

I finally bought a copy of Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook My Father's Daughter.  I became slightly obsessed after reading her introduction, and almost started crying when she was talking about her relationship with her father.  I never knew too much about her, or that she enjoyed cooking.  Each recipe is accompanied with a little story, which I love.  Basically, if you don't have the cookbook, go get it!  This is her recipe for the best stir-fried chicken, and we loved it.  It is nice to have a meal where you don't feel terrible after, especially when you are craving Chinese food.  The recipe didn't call for any vegetables, but I added carrots, broccoli, and diced green peppers.  I also toned down the garlic and ginger.  Enjoy!
Ingredients
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into small (about 3/4") cubes
2 tablespoons corn starch
coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup peeled and minced garlic
1/4 cup peeled and minced ginger (I used ground ginger, & cut amount in half)
1/2 cup minced scallions (white and green parts)
pinch red chile flakes (optional)
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (unrefined if possible)
2 tablespoons soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for serving 

Directions
Toss the chicken with the cornstarch, a large pinch of salt, and quite a bit of pepper.  Heat the oil in a large nonstick wok over medium-high heat (this is a gentle stir fry).  Add the garlic, ginger, scallions, and chile flakes if using them and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.  Add the vinegar, sugar, and 5 or 6 grinds of black pepper.  Boil on high for 3 minutes, or until the sugar has really caramelized  the vinegar has mellowed a bit, and the whole mixture is dark brown and sticky and lovely.  (This is when I added the green peppers, broccoli, and carrots).  Add the soy sauce, cook for another 30 seconds, and serve immediately, sprinkled with the cilantro. 

No comments: