Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Banana Applesauce Bread

I hate wasting fruit and vegetables, so as my bunch of bananas were getting pretty ripe, I decided to let them keep going with the plan of making bread.  I have never used applesauce while cooking before, but have always wanted to try it.  I am not trying to compete with my moms recipe, but this one is quite good!  Enjoy!

Ingredients
3 ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour

Directions
Place bananas in a large bowl and mash with electric mixer.  Stir in the sugar and let stand for 15 minutes.  Add the applesauce and eggs and beat well.  Beat in the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and vanilla, then gradually beat in the flour, mixing thoroughly.  Pour into a 9 x 5" loaf pan that has been coated with nonstick spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (baking time was a little longer for me).  Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes  before removing from the pan.  Makes 1 loaf.

No comments: