Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Scottish Shortbread Cookies

My dad's side of the family is from Scotland, and for years he has been talking about wanting to go there.  It honestly comes up in conversation at least once a week with my family.  My mom decided to surprise my dad with an amazing trip to Edinburgh at the end of this summer to celebrate their 29th wedding anniversary, and his birthday.  For Easter, we made him a Scottish themed basket to tell him about their upcoming trip.  To go along with telling him, I made Scottish Shortbread cookies for dessert.  I have never made them before, and they turned out great!  I looked at lots of recipes, and they are all so similar.  I think next time I will add some vanilla to add a different flavor.  Enjoy!


My dad's Easter basket

Scottish Shortbread Cookies

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 cup butter at room temperature

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Blend all ingredients well (it works best to use your hands). Dough will be stiff.  Press into a 9 x 9" buttered dish.  Prick top with a fork (I did every 1/2").  Bake until pale golden brown on the edges.  Be sure not to over-bake.  Cool and cut into squares.

No comments: